I am ACL 2008: Top Tips for the Fest
by Brittanie in General / 09.25.08
Seriously, could there be a better weekend in Austin? All of your favorite bands coming to hang in your favorite city with all of your favorite people coming to visit from out of town. I am ecstatic! I am ACL 2008!
Some might complain that the festival causes traffic congestion in Austin, or the festival is too crowded to get close to the stage, or it’s always so hot in September (who would want to be outside for 10 hours), or it keeps getting more and more expensive (who can even afford it theses days?)… And to that I say, I am ACL 2008. I will pay the price, I will suffer the heat, I will squeeze through tight crowds, I will ride my bike all over Austin, and I will love it. But that’s only because I know the secrets to having a great ACL 2008. (I mean, I have been going since the beginning so you’d think I’d have learned by now.)
Let’s devise a list:
1. Fix your bike and bring a lock
Get creative about where to park your bike. The bike racks will be filled like crazy so make sure you remember where you put yours!
2. Bring a Nalgene bottle full of ice plus 2 factory sealed 1 liter bottles of water
3. Bring a fast drying towel
4. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
5. Cool off in between sets by jumping in the Springs.
However, if you have a day pass you’re outta luck cuz they won’t let you reenter the festival :(
6. Drink selectively during the day but if you’re sweating is at the same speed as your water intake then you’ll manage to avoid bathroom lines!
7. Bring small umbrella and blanket and set up in a low-key spot to take naps
8. Bring lots and lots of cash!
Try not to get suckered into ATM fees, up to $4 last year. Ugh, who likes paying those?
9. Buy what you like in the artisans market on the first day! It will be gone by Sunday. Do not wait or you will be disappointed.
10. Phones never work (hopefully iPhones will this year considering AT&T sponsors a stage) so always make sure you have a backup meeting time and spot if you separate from the group.
11. And the group matters! The people you surround yourself with will make or break a good time. Make sure you are around people who like the same music and do the same level of partying. You can always catch up with another group or see a show by yourself but don’t pitch a fit if the group you’re with wants to see that lame band from Arkansas… ha ha, jus kidn, guys…
12. No smoking!
Don’t smoke at ACL. It’s gross and who wants to be right next to you when you’re puffing away those lungs? Tobacco is gross.
13. Don’t go to the easiest/closest place to eat. Go get quality food off Congress or take your bike gang down to West 6th street. Ranch 616 is amazing for the price and lovely outdoor patio atmosphere on Saturday nights. If you go anywhere on Barton Springs you’re doomed for a long line and terrible service. Plus, only Shady Grove and Chuy’s have quality food…mmmm…corn chowder and mexi-cobb salads. The best! And watch our MindBite for a great rundown of Austin Hot Spots.
13. Sneak in snacks to the festival, power-bars, nuts, any quick fixes that won’t make you go into a coma from lack of nutrition or snap angrily at your friends from an empty belly.
And if you aren’t lucky enough to go this year, you can check out live coverage on the ACL website.